Monday, July 14, 2008

Presenting at the Crook House

A big day for the book yesterday: I had my very first public presentation! This was for the Douglas County Historical Society's "Second Sunday Talk" at the General Crook House at Fort Omaha - I got booked for the program only a couple weeks ago, but as I had already been working on a Power Point of "The Forts of Omaha and Council Bluffs," I jumped at the opportunity to give it a test drive.

The presentation was held in the parlor of the Crook House, which made it fairly intimate and personable in that it can't seat more than 50 people. About 15 minutes before the presentation was to start, there were only a couple of people in the house but it soon started to fill and by show time, we had a full parlor! I gave my dog-and-pony show, then my daughter Jesan sang "Shenandoah" (she's a mezzo soprano) to conclude the event.

We repeated it an hour later for family and friends and then held a "coming out" party for the book (In return for my giving the lecture for free, the historical society let me have the reception). I had my folks there, Sue and the kids, many relatives and many friends. We were honored to have Sen. Ben Nelson (the foreword author) stop by, make a few remarks and sign a few books; also there were friends Omaha city councilman Jim Suttle and western history author Paul Hedren.

It was a great day - "General Crook" was there in uniform to welcome guests, I saw friends and relatives I hadn't seen for years, and it was the best day of sales yet for "Forts"!

No comments: